Sunday, January 3, 2016

My Top 15 Songs of 2015

This is a list of my top 15 favorite songs that were released in 2015. These are the songs that not only I believe are the greatest songs that came out in the past year, but songs that I never get tired of listening to and/or that have resonated with me in my own personal experiences. Below I have put youtube links to check out the songs for yourselves. If any of these songs make you feel something, please comment. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

1. “Whiskey and You” (Chris Stapleton) from Traveller by Chris Stapleton

Traveller.jpg

This is by definition not just a a perfect country song, but an all around perfect song. I’ll admit, I first heard Chris Stapleton’s version then I went back an listened to Time McGraw’s version from 2007, and man is it awful. It completely distorts the true meaning of the song. At the same token, it just solidifies even more Chris Stapleton’s immense authenticity and talent. My favorite part is the chorus:

'One’s the devil, one keeps driving me insane
At times I wonder if they ain’t both the same
But one’s a liar that helps to hide me from my pain
And one’s the long gone bitter truth
That’s the difference between whiskey and you

What makes this so clever is that you don’t really know which he is referring alcohol or the woman he loves to. It’s for the listener to decide and create their own interpretation that is relevant to their situation. The song is simple, clever, heartfelt, and damn beautiful. I can’t stop listening to it.


2. “King Kunta" (Kendrick Duckworth/Stephen Bruner/Johnny Burns/Michael Jackson/Ahmad Lewis/Stefan Gordy/James Brown/Fred Wesley/John Starks) from To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly.png

Complete switch in genre, but man does this song get me turned up. I could listen to the whole song with just the beat, the bass line, and the rap, but the additional layers throughout the song make this production more dynamic and musically interesting. I don’t necessarily feel like going into the meaning of the lyric, because I think it speaks for itself, but I will say this. The line “the yam is the power that be” literally references the culture of some parts of Africa. The amount of yams a black man owns represent the power a black man holds. ‘Nough said.


3. “Don’t Wanna Fight” (Brittany Howard) from Sound & Color by Alabama Shakes

Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color album cover.jpg

From that first squeal, you knew you were about to get your ass kicked, ironically. Energy, rawness, great sound textures, a perfect rock performance. What else can I say? It speaks for itself.


4.Somebody To Love (Kacey Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osbourne) from Pageant Material by Kacey Musgraves

Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material (Official Album Cover).png

The lyric is literally EVERYTHING we think about when we live our lives with some sort of idea of the person we will fall in love with and potentially spend the rest of our lives with. The uncertainty, the doubt, the fear, the joy, the sorrow, the excitement, and the relentlessness. I personally enjoy this song because whenever I feel this way, I listen to this song, and I know that I am not the only person who experiences these thoughts, doubts and emotions. I am not alone. We are all just looking for Somebody To Love (and indirectly, somebody to love us).


5. “Rescue Me” (Amy Helm) from Didn’t It Rain by Amy Helm

When I first saw that Amy Helm had released an album, I was full of doubt. My first thought was that this was a daughter riding on the coattails of her father Levon Helm’s legacy, but I decided to give it a shot and bought the CD on a whim. Once I heard, man I couldn’t have been more happy to be wrong in my life. The first two tracks are definitely the biggest standouts. “Rescue Me” is the second track, and Amy just oozes southern soul. You hear her passion and soul through her voice and the performance of her incredible band of musicians. Please listen to this song if you haven’t already. It just simply good music in its most bare state.


6. “Did You Just Take The Long Way Home” (Colin Hay) from Next Year People by Colin Hay

Colin.Hay.4641

Some songwriters never get the credit they deserve. Colin Hay is no exception. Within the past decade, the former Men At Work frontman has put out a series of fantastic solo albums, and his latest one is perhaps the best. This is my favorite song from that album. The keyboard/guitar line just draws you into the song, and like Kacey Musgraves, Colin Hay’s words just hit close to home:

'And could it be that you don’t love me
For who I am or what I could be
And from where I am it’s such a long way down

So maybe you got lost at the five ways
Took a wrong turn just like always
Or did you just take the long way home?'

You are hoping the person you love will return to you one day, but it always seems like forever, as if you will never be with them again, in this life or the afterlife. Colin Hay has other songs vsimilar to this such as “Lonely Without You” and “I Just Don’t Think I’ll Ever Get Over You”, but this one is a tiny bit more lighthearted but still full of passion and spirit.


7. “Late To The Party” (Kacey Musgraves/Brandy Clark/Josh Osbourne) from Pageant Material by Kacey Musgraves

Great story telling, clever rhymes, catchy melody, I never get tired of listening to this song. NEXT!!!



8. “One Kind of Love” (Brian Wilson/Scott Bennett) from No Pier Pressure by Brian Wilson [Also featured on the soundtrack for Love and Mercy]

Love & Mercy (poster).jpg

Yes, it’s a cheesy lyric (courtesy of Scott Bennett), but you can’t help but love this song. Beautiful melody, heartfelt message, straight to the point. Pure unadulterated love. Hell, this song is even nominated for a Golden Globe for the Brian Wilson biopic Love & Mercy (which I also HIGHLY recommend checking out.


9. “Worth The Wait” (Jim Lauderdale) Soul Searching Vol.1 Memphis/Vol. 2 Nashville.
by Jim Lauderdale

Soul Searching Vol. 1 Memphis / Vol. 2 Nashville

I have to admit, this selection is a bit bias. Jim Lauderdale is a good friend of mine and I’ve worked with him and had a great experience. Nonetheless, this is definitely a standout song and performance. Jim Lauderdale has always been a country singer with SOUL (with a capital S), and this song demonstrates his abilities. Backed up by the North Mississippi Allstars, Jim Lauderdale shreds through the chorus, you hear the soul, grit, and bluesiness of his performance. On top of that, this is a great song. Clever rhymes and a very relatable message. This is the best highlight off his latest sleeper release Soul Searching Vol.1 Memphis/Vol. 2 Nashville.


10. “Forbidden Nights” (Elvis Costello) from Introducing Darlene Love by Darlene Love


Elvis Costello couldn’t have written a more perfect song for rock and roll legend Darlene Love even if he wrote one with Bruce Springsteen, Steve Van Zandt, AND Phil Spector (imagine that, ay). The lead single of Darlene Love’s comeback album Introducing Darlene Love, “Forbidden Nights” can only be defined by one word: YOUTH. This song is both nostalgic and modern, representing the experiences that young lovers of ALL generations experience.


11. “All I Ask” (Adele/The Smeezingtons) from 25 by Adele

To be honest, I did not care very much for Adele’s 25 overall. (SHUT UP!!!) I know, I know. Everybody loves it and sold tons of buttloads of copies, but if you want my opinion, maybe I’ll do a review on the whole album later on. Despite my criticism, this song definitely stood out. Co-written by Bruno Mars’ production team the Smeezingtons, this song is basically if “Turning Tables” and “Someone Like You” had a baby. Hell, this would’ve been a better closing track than “Sweetest Devotion”, but I digress. The song hits home, you don’t want to let go of a person just yet, so you plead to share one final moment of love and passion, whatever that entails, uncertain if you ever feel the same level of love and affection again. It kind of sounds basic when I put it the way I did, but Adele’s performance brings the song to life, and this song has a great melody and arrangement. It doesn’t need a full band or an orchestra; It works just bare bones heart on your sleeve vulnerability, and that is why it is one of my favorites of 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7lw6kjr0s  best version I could find on youtube


12. “The Girl In The Yellow Dress” (David Gilmour/Polly Samson) from Rattle That Lock by David Gilmour


This track is a great departure for David Gilmour. When I first heard this as I listened to the album Rattle That Lock, I did not see it coming, but I listened and absolutely enjoyed this listening experience. Spoiler alert, Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour does jazz. Now this may not be the biggest shock to some, but what makes this extraordinary is that it works. I mean, I would hear someone like Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra or Gregory Porter belt out this tune, and big props to Gilmour’s wife Polly Samson for writing some creative lyrics that fit very very well with the melody. In my opinion, this is Gilmour’s best solo gem.


13. “Last Tango On 16th Street” (Jack Walroth) from A Fool To Care by Boz Scaggs

From Boz Scagg’s latest critically acclaimed album A Fool To Care. This song though! When I heard it, It took me to Paris, Spain, and Italy all at the same time. I found myself at the bus stop dancing with myself listening to this song, as if I was dancing with a partner. Corny as it sounds, it just demonstrates how powerful this song is. It’s smooth, suave, relaxing, sensual, and Scaggs does a great vocal performance. Great demonstration of his versatility between styles, although to be fair, his music has always had its genre-bending influences.


14. “Now I Know I’ll Never Get Over You” (Colin Blunstone) from Still Got That Hunger by The Zombies

Still Got That Hunger

This song originally appeared on Colin Blunstone’s 2009 solo album The Ghost of You and Me. This is a re-make version that appears on the Zombies latest album Still Got That Hunger. They took a song that originally had a string quartet-vocal arrangement, and completely screwed it up in the best way possible. In short, the Zombies made it rock. Full band with drums, electric bass, an electric guitar line just gets stuck in your head and a piano solo that re-proclaims Rod Argent as one of the most underrated rock keyboardists of all time. As for the relatable subject matter of the song? Well, the title says it all.


15. “Everglow” (Coldplay) from A Head Full of Stars by Coldplay

I will admit, I’m not really into Coldplay, let alone their music form the last 5 years. But I heard this song and it drew me in. The lyrics are pretty basic, but there is some interesting imagery going on, and sonically, to my ears, it merges classic Coldplay with modern Coldplay. This sound like the missing link between Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends and Mylo Xyloto, and by god is the piano line catchy. It just gets stuck in you head you can’t get it out, in a good way. The song has a great melody and is perhaps their best and most bare bones track since “The Scientist”. I would like to mention, the live videos on youtube if where the song breathes the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment