Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Reflection: Top 10 David Bowie Songs (1969-1975)

Image result for david bowie

Sorry I haven't been here in a few days. Been super busy with school and other personal obligations. I've been thinking about what to write, and with the sudden passing of legendary rock musician David Bowie, I thought it might be appropriate to write something related to his music. I was considering a review on his new album Blackstar, but I think I'll get to that later. Instead, I will be giving my Top 10 Bowie tracks from 1969-1975. I am keeping it in that time era simply because most of my favorite Bowie tracks come from those eras, and I am not as familiar with his music post-1984. If you are not familiar with any of these, and I doubt any are, check them out on youtube. You will not regret it I promise you. So without further ado, here we go.


10. "Fame"

Co-written and performed with John Lennon, and David Bowie's biggest hit at the time. You can hear all the R&B influences ranging from Sly & The Family Stone to James Brown. You could arguably claim this track as proto-disco. This song also made David Bowie the first solo white performer on the black-centric music television program Soul Train. "Fame" is catchy, experimental, memorable, funky, and soulful. 

9. "Moonage Daydream"

This is one of the few David Bowie songs I could say where he is not the true star. In fact, "Moonage Daydream" rather highlights the immense talent and charisma of Spiders From Mars guitarist Mick Ronson. This track has been often cited as Mick Ronson's finest guitar solo. He soars through outer space, playing his guts out with vigor, intention, and sheer grit, literally taking the listener to Mars. Many have attempted to imitate, but could never replicate such an iconic and original sounding guitar solo complimenting a great performances by the main artist.

8. "Suffragette City" and "Ziggy Stardust"

I decided to put these two together simply because one cannot do without the other. "Suffragette City" is David Bowie's best straight ahead fast rocker. Power, charisma, attitude, and a really catchy hook. This song just rocks. "Ziggy Stardust" is one of those songs in the catalogue that simply epitomizes what David Bowie is, or at least a part of who he is. Once again highlighted by a brilliant guitar performance from Mick Ronson, "Ziggy Stardust" both an introduction and an farewell to the character that made most of us fall in love with David Bowie in the first place.

7. "Space Oddity"

The song that introduced us to David Bowie, as well as one of the most popular music recordings to feature the mellotron. A great narrative about an astronaut stuck in space away from his wife and family, uncertain of when or if he will return safely home. What more is there to say? This track is simply classic.

6. "Aladdin Sane (1913-1938-197?)"

Perhaps the most different out of all the Bowie tracks on this list. This is the first we hear Bowie delving into more avant garde territory, with improvised atonal piano solos provided by temporary Spiders From Mars keyboardist Mike Garson. For the record, Aladdin Sane is my opinion David Bowie's most underrated album from that era. Of course we all remember the image of him on the cover with the lightning bolt tattoo on his left eye, but I don't really ever hear the album getting talked about that much, which is a shame. I believe it is here that we really get an idea of David Bowie stretching himself out musically, a foreshadow of even greater music to come.

5. "Changes"

This was the Bowie track I remember hearing on classic rock radio the most, with the second being "Fame". "Changes" is once again classic Bowie - a memorable melody, relatable lyrics, melancholy yet cheerful. I think this is the one Bowie song that is impossible hate. Even if I might get tired of hearing it, I will never get sick of it, even if it gets stuck in my head.

4. "Queen Bitch"

Another deep cut that kind of does get talked about, but not really at the same time. If anything, this track does highlight Bowie's skill as a rhythm guitarist. Unique vocal performance, a chord progression that would make Mozart roll his eyes and roll in his grave, and an anthemic guitar riff - this has remained one of his most memorable standouts. Note: the best performance of this song is from the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1971.

3. "Starman"

I'll be honest. I was not aware of this song until nearly two years ago while I was studying undergrad. We had a lecture on glam rock in my Music History & Analysis class, and one of the things we looked at was the iconic video of David Bowie performing "Starman" with his band at the time the Spiders From Mars. It was the first time the public had seen David Bowie as 'Ziggy Stardust' in all his androgynous glory. This was the performance AND the song where David Bowie broke new ground as a music artist, presenting himself in a fashion that has never been attempted before. This song has influenced every artist from Culture Club to Adam and the Ants to Def Leppard. I never get tired of listening to this song. 

2. "Young Americans"

It's almost a shame that this song doesn't get as much attention as "Fame", let alone more than "Fame". I'm even surprised that the album was not named after "Fame" considering it was obviously a bigger hit. But with that said, "Young Americans" proves to be one of David Bowie's finest vocal performance, as well as one of his most straightforward compositions from the era. After having ditched the Spiders From Mars, Bowie took a drastic change stylistically. Here we see the both the prototype of the Thin White Duke as well as a white man singing blue-eyed soul, also coined as Bowie's own 'plastic soul'. Here, Bowie sang R&B his way, and it is delightful. The chorus of this song is just gravitating. You can't help but just sing along. Add David Sanborn on sax and some soulful background vocals, featuring a then unknown Luther Vandross, and you have what people may argue as David Bowie's most under-appreciated 70s era of music.

1. "Life On Mars?"

What makes this my favorite David Bowie song of the early to mid 70s you may ask. Well, the answer is simply. First: Rick Wakeman's gorgeous piano arrangement. That's an automatic win. Second: lyrics that say, 


'It's a god-awful small affair 
to the girl with the mousy hair

But her mummy is yelling "No"

And her daddy has told her to go'

and 

'It's on America's tortured brow

That Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow

Now the workers have struck for fame
'Cause Lennon's on sale again
See the mice in their million hordes
From Ibeza to the Norfolk Broads
Rule Britannia is out of bounds
To my mother, my dog, and clowns'

Only Bowie could get away with lyrics this bizarre and this creative.

Third: the music. One of the most creative chord progressions at that time. You could even compare it to something the Beatles could have thought of, but Bowie's melody is completely original, with all the appropriate highs and lows building up to a great climax of the title lyric. Everything about it song is right, and every time I think of Bowie, "Life On Mars?" is immediately the first song I hear in my head. I will also admit, I do have an emotional connection with this song that related to a significant time in my life that involved heartbreak and obsession. This was the song that helped me learn to cope with my feelings, leading towards the path of acceptance and moving forward, and it continues to do so every time I need to be reminded. 

I hope there's a David Bowie song that gives you some sort of emotional connection. If there is, write about it in the comments. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment