Thursday, December 31, 2015

Grateful For A New Year (2016)

My flatmates all went out to see some fireworks and meet with family members, leaving me to sit all alone in my room. I started feeling depressed, so I put on the album Closing Time by Tom Waits. That's probably the Tom Waits album I listened to the most. Tried calling a couple of friends, but no answer. Got Mexican food delivered and I'm still waiting for my drinks to come. Luckily, I have a big bottle of Newcastle to keep me company for the time being. Initially I was going to sulk in my lonely sadness and watch the film About Time on Netflix, but somehow I got sidetracked and started watching videos of the Grateful Dead on youtube, specifically videos from Jerry Garcia's 70th Birthday Celebration featuring Bob Weir, Donna Godchaux, Mike Gordon of Phish, Jim Lauderdale, Jeff Chimenti, and others. Now I remember....

Image result for jerry garcia 70th birthday celebration


A couple of weeks ago I put a downpayment on an SX Vintage Strat electric guitar, and I was playing some Dead tunes in the shop, specifically Franklin's Tower, Shakedown Street, Friend of The Devil, Standing On The Moon, and their version of Dancing In The Street. The guy working in sheet music asked if I knew Box of Rain. I said I didn't. Flash-foward to the present. I looked up the chords to Box of Rain and started playing along with a youtube recording. Then I played Friend of the Devil, and then I played Touch of Grey, arguably their most popular song (definitely their biggest hit). As I was singing the lyrics and playing the chords on my acoustic guitar, I started to feel happier and happier. It was like the cloud of darkness that was hanging over me was clearing up. My spirit lifted and I started to feel more optimistic, especially when I would sing these words:

'Sorry that you feel that way.
The only thing there is to say
Every silver lining's got a touch of grey
I will get by, I will get by, I will get by, I will survive.'

After I played the song about 3 or 4 times I watched a mini-documentary about Jerry Garcia's 70th Birthday Celebration. I have to be honest that I did not realize Jerry was missing his middle finger in his right hand. Man that's wild. I then proceeded to pull out my Tom Anderson electric guitar from it's case and started jamming along to Shakedown Street and Franklin's Tower.

There's something about the music of the Grateful Dead that just takes to a place of positivity and optimism. You can't help but feel cheerful as all your troubles float away.

As I write this, I am currently listening to The Grateful Dead Closing of Winterland Ballroom New Years Eve 1978. For the moment I am feeling hopeful, blissful and content, positive vibes all around, as I listen to the grooves of Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart, the licks coming from Jerry Garcia's Warlock guitar, and those sweet effortless harmonies.

Image result for grateful dead closing of winterland

Here's to a wonderful and positive 2016 full of good people and real good times.

"We will get by. We will get by. We will get by. We will survive"

Image result for grateful dead  real good time



No comments:

Post a Comment