Saturday, October 1, 2016

I'm Back

Hello Everyone,

It's been a long while, hasn't it? At the same time, where did the time go? I can't even remember when I last posted on here. Life has been quite the roller coaster in recent months: school, friends, moving, transition, emotional turmoil, making music, etc. Least to say, business as usual.

The good news though is that I have been keeping up with the new album releases this year, so you can definitely expect to see my Top 101 Favorite albums of 2016 and Top 15 Songs of 2016. It's a challenge I will admit. Not because there are so many albums out this year, but because there are so many good/great albums from great/well-known artists. Many of these albums were released yesterday 30 September: Blue Mountain by Bob Weir, 22, A Million by Bon Iver, American Band by Drive-By Truckers, Keep Me Singing by Van Morrison, Rich Man by Doyle Bramhall II.

Image result for bruce springsteen born to run bookI've also begun reading Bruce Springsteen's new memoir Born To Run. This is one of those memoirs I've been waiting all my life for, next to those yet to be released by Van Morrison and Leonard Cohen. I've read the first handful of pages, but already it's a phenomenal read. I can relate to many of the topics and life events he discusses and his writing is intelligent, engaging and heartfelt.

Speaking of Springsteen, I don't know if I've mentioned my love his music on this blog, but I guess I'll do it in this post just in case. His music has been important to me since I started listening to his music extensively in 2011. My favorite album is Darkness On The Edge of Town. I've listened to that album countless times while driving and in my own leisure.

Image result for darkness on the edge of town album"Racing In The Street" is my favorite all-time Springsteen song. The song oozes tragedy, sadness, pain, bittersweetness, and yet a small light that lies at the end of the tunnel. Everyone can identify with the lead character. We have either been that person, know that person, or currently live out the person's story, feeling stuck in a dead end town with a dead end job in a dead end relationship, hungry for excitement, adventure, escape, something greater, something worth living for. Sooner or later, we all realize that life ain't easy. We do what we can to get by, but the tragedy is that many give up and settle because they were unable to achieve a dream or strive for something great. But there is always hope. Always.

Nebraska is my second favorite. The title track is one of my all-time favorites. This album is Springsteen at his darkest. The second the final verse in "Nebraska" proves it:

"Sheriff when the man pulls that switch sir and snaps my poor neck back
You make sure my pretty baby is sittin' right there on my lap"

Image result for nebraska album

This album contains some of the best storytelling in popular music, including songs like "Atlantic City", "Mansion On The Hill", "State Trooper" and "Reason To Believe". Springsteen recorded all these songs originally as demos with a 4-track cassette recorder. He attempted to record them with E Street band arrangements, but it didn't work out. At the suggestion of his manager Jon Landau, he decided to release them as they were. The album made #1 and became a classic.

Recently, I have found myself listening more to the album Born To Run. I never really listened to the album that much in the past. I never really even went out of my way to listened to "Thunder Road". The only song I consistently listened to from the record was "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out", mostly because it's one of my favorite songs he does live and it's got a killer horn section in it. These days, I've become more infatuated with the album, specifically due to the tracks "Meeting Across The River" and "Jungleland". "Night" is one of my least favorite Springsteen songs, but I'll admit that it's growing on me. And it took a while for me to get more into the song "Backstreets" as well. "Born To Run" was probably the first Springsteen song I ever heard in my life when I was a kid. And seriously, who doesn't love "Born To Run". "She's The One" is just a fun tune with a fantastic piano line. Maybe I'll go more into detail in the album at some point, but not right now.

Anyways, that's all for now. I recently transitioned to a new location and things are starting to pick up again. In the meantime, I've got some time on my hand to write songs, listen to music, and get my health back on track. With that said, I'll definitely keep up with the blog this time around, mostly because I believe it will serve as a good form of therapy for me. Music has always helped me from getting out of my own head and directing that worry and energy into something creative and productive. Thanks for tuning in. Until next time!

- MT

No comments:

Post a Comment